Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Your names are inscribed on fames immortal scroll

Location: South Confederate Avenue
Dedicated: November 12,1933
Cost: $12,000
Sculptor: Joseph W. Urner

Alabama was the third southern state to erect a state memorial on the field at Gettysburg. Inspired by the Alabama Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, funds were approved out of state revenues in 1927.

The memorial was designed to honor the gallantry and sacrifice of Alabama soldiers who served here. General Evander Law's Alabama brigade, positioned on the extreme right of the Army of Northern Virginia, was centered about where the monument now stands.

The central figure of the sculpture represents the spirt of Alabama. The two soldiers on either side symbolize the "Spirt" and the "Determination" of all Alabama soldiers. On the left, the wounded figure is being comforted by the female figure at the same time she urges the other soldier on. To indicate the continuance of the struggle, an ammunition pouch is being passed on to the soldier continuing the fight. The monument was dedicated seventy years after the battle.

All information obtained comes from Gettysburg: Stories of Men and Monuments As Told By Battlefield Guides By Frederick W. Hawthorne - I strongly recommend this book I purchased it in a gift shop in Gettysburg sometime ago, because I was looking for a monument that I couldn't locate, it was either the History Recording or the Irish Brigade Monument, but it's nice to know that if I am looking for a certain monument and or the meaning of some of the symbolism of the monument I can get that from this book. I still like to just drive around and uncover things in my own way from time to time but this book has really helped me understand the monuments and thats why I feel compelled to use the descriptions for my pictures that I have taken of the monuments.

No comments:

Post a Comment